Friday, January 18, 2008

Simple Tank Top Re-Do Project




So I tried out a little diy project idea I spotted in this month's Blueprint magazine. They did tiger stripes on a little black dress using a bleach pen and I said to myself, "Hey I have one of those bleach pens at home". So I gave it a try on an old tank top.




I put the shirt on my mannequin so as I was drawing I could see how it would look while being worn. If you don't have a mannequin, some large cylinder shaped object would probably work, maybe a tall bucket or an empty wastebasket.




I covered the mannequin with a left over drop cloth from painting my apt. a few months ago.














Next I drew one continous stripe using the bleach pen. I started at the bottom and worked my way up in a spiral until I ran out. I think my bleach pen was just a little less then full when I started.






When I was done drawing the stripes, I let it sit for about 30 min. because I wanted to make sure the bleach got a chance to really work and become pretty bright. After the 30 min. I slipped the tank off the mannequin by pulling on the plastic drop cloth. Then I washed it in warm water with a little detergent.



















and voila! the finished shirt!
Now I'm eyeing all my other old tops for a re-do.... : D



No comments: