Friday, April 11, 2008

Book Review- Craft Inc. by Meg Mateo Ilasco

Earlier this week i picked up another huge stack of business books at the Brooklyn Business Library.


Of course I read the cutest one first! : )

I wish I had read this book, oh about 5 months ago : ) It would have helped so much! That's when I really began working on starting my own craft business. It would have been perfect timing then. Still, even if you've already got the basics figured out, this book will be worth your while. It's a very quick, easy read, everything's very well organized and in the order of when each bit of advice would be useful as you build your business. I also enjoyed Ilasco's chatty writing style. If you are just beginning to think about starting your own craft business this book will be your new best friend. If you've been in business for a few months you may be ready to check out the "hiring a publicist" section or "how to be a good employer and boss". Personally I was most interested in the section on press kits.


P.S. Last time i picked up a huge stack at the Biz Library the best one I read was "Minding Her Own Business" by Jan Zobel. It's great for learning to keep records for a small business. The fact that it was marketed to women as "the self-employed woman's essential guide to taxes and financial records" seems a little silly to me since it would obviously be just as useful to a self-employed guy. But whatever, it's pretty handy. The formats for records are pretty good, and some of them I use all the time.

No comments: